Comprehensive Ophthalmology by AK Khurana, 9th Edition
Better understanding of Competency-based Medical Education (CBME) curriculum has necessitated the early revision. So, ninth edition has been revised, updated with recent advances incorporated in every section. However, the layout of the book which has been appreciated by medical students.
The text arranged in five sections.
- Section I: Anatomy and Physiology of Eye includes two chapters one each on Anatomical and Physiological aspects of Eye and Ocular Adnexa.
- Section II: Optics and Refraction comprises two chapters one each on Elementary and Physiological Optics, and Errors of Refraction, Accommodation and Asthenopia.
- Section III: Diseases of Eye and Ocular Adnexa exhibits an exhaustive and thorough exposition of the text on disorders of eyeball, ocular adnexa and visual pathway in fourteen chapters.
- Section IV: Ocular Therapeutics includes a chapter on Ocular Pharmacology and another chapter on Lasers and Cryotherapy in Ophthalmology.
- Section V: Systemic and Community Ophthalmology covers updated text on these topics in two chapters.
Practical Ophthalmology, in the 9th edition, has been compiled as a separate complementary book with the Comprehensive Ophthalmology. It will serve as a handbook for use during clinical postings. As, it provides exact insights and topic essential for practical examinations, so, it will also be useful for quick comprehension during final practical examinations. This book has been updated with following incorporations:
- AETCOM (Attitude, Ethics and Communication skills), which is unique and essential concept under CBME curriculum, has been introduced in the very first chapter.
- Case studies have been incorporated liberally in this chapter, keeping in view the patient centric, Competency-based Medical Education (CBME) curriculum, 2018.
- DOAP (Demonstrate, Observe, Assess and Perform) concept has been incorporated appropriately with competency number mapped.
- Skill assessment, one of the suggested assessment method in new CBME curriculum has also been included.
- OSPE (Objectively Structured Practical Examination) and OSCE (Objectively Structured Clinical Examination) have also been incorporated.
Logbook, which provides a clear setting of learning objectives, as per latest guidelines of NMC under CBME curriculum as a complementary accompaniment. Review of Ophthalmology, a companion to the textbook which offers quick comprehension at a glance and an opportunity for self-assessment with latest multiple-choice questions (MCQs), has been updated with latest text and picture based MCQs. In ninth edition, Review of Ophthalmology has been given as an online complementary resource with an added feature of Clinical Skill Videos and Surgical Videos.
Comprehensive Ophthalmology by AK Khurana, 9th Edition.